Active Canterbury Network Newsletter: March-April 2017
Would you like to grow your class or activity? Wondering how you can encourage more regular attendance?
There are some easy things you can do to help attract new members and improve adherence.
The first thing to realise is that most people don't just come for the exercise. They come for a variety of reasons and many of these have to do with social connections, being part of a 'tribe' and feeling valued.
Secondly, you need to take some time to plan how to create an environment that meets these needs.
Five tips for growth and adherence
- Try using themes - linking in with national awareness days or key dates like Valentine's or St Patricks Day are a good place to start. Be creative and think about easy ways you can incorporate these themes into your activity. It could be as simple as everyone wearing something red or green. Give out prizes or provide a small giveaway as an incentive.
- Celebrate major milestones - going the extra mile really leaves an impression and highlighting special dates or occassions is a great way to show your class members and clients that you care. Share birthdays, weddings or other special dates that help create talking points and shared experiences.
- Use social media - Facebook is a great way to share information and help your group/s interact outside of the class or activity. Try and identify someone in your group who could help setup a closed page. The page can then be used by the group to share events, training tips and inspirational quotes which promotes a real sense of belonging.
- Provide an opportunity to socialise - providing a cup of tea/coffee and some healthy snacks at the end of a class or session is a great way to help your participants get to know each other better. For some groups like young mums/dads and older adults this time can add significant value.
- Have fun! As this quote puts it so well.."Have fun when you workout, and it wont feel like work!"
These tips are based on strategies used by New Zealand Exercise Industry Awards winner Linda Miratana - the Group Fitness Team Leader at Lincoln Events Centre. Linda will be talking about these tips in more detail at an upcoming Training Workshop in October.
View the March-April 2016 Active Canterbury Newsletter online.
Visit the Active Canterbury website.