Living Economies Expo eUpdate: 17 January 2017
Welcome to this issue of the Living Economies Expo newsletter.
The Living Economies Expo which will be held in Lyttelton is an event recognising the interconnection of all major global issues around the driving force of our debt based money system. The event will highlight examples where people are doing things differently, creating healthy solutions, demonstrating what is possible, what gives hope and direction to our communities and country. Through the momentum of this event we want to seed systemic change.
The official Living Economies Expo website will be going live in about a week. I know a lot of you have been waiting for this so you can register.
The event will be a celebration amongst other things. This is what is talked about in the inspiring quote below sent in by a reader…
Until next time… continue with joy to do the great work you are doing in your sphere of influence.
This is The Hour...
"You have been telling the people that this is the Eleventh Hour.
Now you must go back and tell the people that this is the Hour.
And there are things to be considered:
Where are you living?
What are you doing?
What are your relationships? Are you in right relation?
Where is your water? Know your garden.
It is time to speak your Truth.
Create your community. Be good to each other.
And do not look outside yourself for the leader.
This could be a good time.
There is a river flowing now very fast
It is so great and swift that there are those who will be afraid.
They will try to hold on to the shore.
They will feel they are being torn apart, and they will suffer greatly.
Know the river has its destination.
The elders say we must let go of the shore, push off into the middle of the river
Keep our eyes open and our heads above the water.
See who is in there with you
At this time in history we are to take nothing personally.
Least of all, ourselves.
For the moment that we do, our spiritual growth and journey comes to a halt.
The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves!
Banish the word "struggle" from your attitude and your vocabulary.
All that we do now must be done in a sacred manner and in celebration.
We are the ones we've been waiting for."
The Elders / Oraibi, Arizona / Hopi Nation
(attributed to Don Evehema, 1996)
Confirmed speakers at the Living Economies Expo
We are in the process of asking many more speakers, and we are mindful of the importance of having Open Space for sharing the wisdom of those attending the event.
Here are the confirmed speakers:
- Gar Alperovitz (via Skype). It is great to have Gar speak with the overall connecting vision.
Visit the Next System website and watch the video at the beginning.
- Niki Harre. Her presentation will be on the Infinite Game.
- Raf Manji
- Deirdre Kent - Activist, lobbyist, bank reformer, co-founder of many systems changing organisations, thought developer on monetary reform and land tax. Author of Healthy Money, Healthy Planet
Help co-create the Living Economies Expo
This event is being co-created - it is not your usual conference event! So we are looking for your help.
We would like to have many people underwriting the event so that we can ease the angst and pay up front costs. We have already one supporter lending $10,000 (huge smiles!) Maybe there are many others of you – with amounts that are appropriate for you who could support in this underwriting role. Please consider what you might be able to lend to facilitate creating this event. There is a risk obviously. It is our intention to pay these amounts back as registrations come in and costs are covered.
We want to remove barriers that make attendance at the event difficult for some people. This is what we propose…
- The standard fee of $300 is we believe particularly good value.
- People who contribute significant amounts of time in helping create the event can pay in Time Credits (contact us if this is the route you want to take)
- People can pay in a combination of Timebank credits and NZ dollars. These are time credits earned through helping create the event. We could work out together the credits to dollars ratio to what seems fair.
- Those who feel they want to pay more than the $300 are welcome to do so. If you belong to an organisation and need an invoice to be able to do this, that can be done. An alternative is to see if your organisation could sponsor some aspect such as airfares for speakers, or gift significant airpoints or sponsor the IT support we will need.
Accomodation options for Expo attendees
There are options concerning accommodation for those people from outside Christchurch attending the Living Economies Expo.
Accommodation is available through our Canterbury TimeBanking network. You will need to become a member of our national TimeBank to access this offer. Contact Jules for more information (timebankingnz[at]gmail.com) - she will ensure it is an easy and painless process. Liaise with Jules once you become a member as to your specific requirements (how many nights, transport from airport, do you envisage sharing meals with your host?). Jules will liaise with the 5 Canterbury TimeBanks to arrange this on your behalf.
You will be only charged hours for the time that the host spends making it possible for your stay (getting a room ready etc) - not while you are sleeping! There may be a small negligible monetary cost and possible minor costs incurred by the host. These financial costs and amount of hours will vary and will be advised by the host.